PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: APNG Twin Otter Missing
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 12:53
TWOTBAGS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I’m not going to shoot at Obie… he’s already proven his point… or lack there of.

Having about 3500hr in the Twin Otter and a bit of it in PNG I have to explain a couple things to those who have not been there.

As already stated, planes are like busses in PNG, if it fits, it flies, or it never gets there full stop. Depending upon the season you can set your watch by the weather knowing that you need to finish your work in the mornings and take the arvo off, even then the mornings can be ****e too!

The only comparable region I personally know were the hills in northern Angola, granted they are not as big, but the valleys were the same, twisted & convoluted sometimes with a way out sometimes not, and usually no where to turn. Wx was just as cruddy, with low stratus and 99% humidity.

The PIC would not have been there if they could not cut the mustard and made their decision to abandon the approach for more than likely a good reason. Its however unfortunate that, this maneuver has lead to other issues.

Having flown one of the first Otter with EGPWS up there (a long time ago), honestly it was more than useless as more of than not the airport was not in the database and terrain inhibit was the norm….. Terrain-Terrain….. Great PNG railways!!!

Any remote idea that a crew would conduct an IMC approach to a VFR airport using EGPWS guidance is on par with those who wear the funny white jackets that do up at the back.