PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots will not be armed... (merged)
Old 30th May 2002, 03:57
Lowlight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand you all wanting to flash some teeth with that smile, but pistols = problems, more than a viable solution.

See no 4 hour course is going to prepare you to deal with a group dedicated to inflicting damage to that aircraft. These guys are just too well trained and ready to give their life for the their cause. I figure given the situation, 3 to 5 men intent on taking over the aircraft, possibly wired will take a minimum of two men per target to immobilize the threat, in less than 10 seconds, that is alot of shootin, and twice as much movin than you have room on any plane. No free world anti-terrorist team would execute that without at least 8-10 guys, even if the plane was parked.

Solution, someone said, superior firepower, more like superior manpower, these guys may not be armed with pistols, but they are armed, so you have to move and clear in tandem down 2 ailses together that is just how it works. The cockpit is too small, no ones reaction could be quick enough and at least one man must fire from the weak side. (providing you both don't move at the same time knocking each other out of the way) Any firearm you use must be strong enough for a single round solution, are you willing to fire that same round at the window or instrustment panel from you seat? That is where you most likely to accidently squeeze off a rushed shot...

My thoughts, panic buttons for the cabin crew, and electronic locks on the doors. The flight crew will have to deal with the after effects that you can't stop the threat but may be able to land the plane? Hopefully the government find it unnecessary to shove a missile up your tailpipe, though a missile might be more merciful? Suppose you get pistols, the bad guys know this because the PR machine wants to shout it from the rooftops and they begin to train to work your own egos and training against you, these guys do their homework and are betting on you going soft. May take years, but over those years you begin to think the pistols worked and all is well... Surprise!

I think men in black on planes, more than one, less than five, rotating tours of duty, young hard chargers from the military. The Airlines want government help, government money, well now protect my investment in that flight.