PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carcassonne Landing
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 05:47
Final 3 Greens

Sarsabu

I note that the runway at Carcassone is said to be just under 2000m long.

Although I hold only a PPL, from recollecting the comments of 737-800 pilots on prior threads, it is not a generously long runway for this type of aircraft, although it is within limits.

I imagine what you felt was a skilled pilot ensuring that the aircraft landed in the touchdown zone and thus delivered its landing performance (i.e. stopped safely on the runway.)

Under the circumstances, a firm touchdown is a good thing.

The other thing to remember is that the landing feels quite different depending on where you sit. I generally travel in business class on work, and the touchdowns feel a lot softer at the fornt of the cabin, than sitting over the wings or at the back.

The 737-800 also has a stiff landing gear (once again I am repeating what 737-800 pilots have written here before) and this amplifies the feeling of a firm landing.

Finally, airliners are built to accept very firm landings and I believe can be 'flown onto the ground' without a flare, although in practice the flare is maybe 0.5-1 degree just before touchdown and this is quite sublte, as swept winged aircraft will already tend to have a nose up attitude when on very short final.

WIth a bit of luck, a Ryanair pilot may come along and correct any errors in the above or add more details.