PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KE 773 landing incident at NRT
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 02:04
totempole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typical quick draw Mcgraws........I have not advocated cross controls all the way to touchdowns! By all means crab all the way ( that's what I do ) to about 100 feet, then ease on the downwind rudder to decrab but ease the upwind down. In very strong gusty/variable crosswinds, it would be prudent to keep some crab and straighten on the runway....you will get some uncomfortable " twisting sensation " but no harm. You have to understand the B777 have a long wheel truck but aft steerable wheels ( which touches downfirst ), so this " twisting sensation " is just the mechanics of the aircraft forward inertia/momentum at work. Non B777 qualified instructors misinterpret this as hard landing with residual drift. The autopilot touches down in crosswinds in this fashion.

I have seen people decrabbing fully on flare only to overcontrol with upwind wings lifted up or have the aircraft with one wheel truck bearing the full weight for extended periods due to too much into wind control inputs due to abrupt last minute decrab at flare.

Last edited by totempole; 12th Aug 2009 at 03:57.