PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2009, 20:55
MUFC_fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipness - music to my ears!

At least someone is thinking in real terms. Ryanair won't just put 2 aircraft in a major UK city. They will take Jet2 down bit by bit by bit until they have little left. The only airline in the UK that has the capabilities of withstanding the effects of Ryanair (so far!) is easyJet. Say Ryanair doesn't reduce Jet2's presence - it will certainly reduce average fares on competing routes and just look at what fares Jet2 have been charging this summer to AGP etc. - they won't be around like that next year!

As Skipness says, 2 will become 3 and then 4 and then who knows.

Originally Posted by righthandrule
MAN-ALC down 28% in june, LBA-ALC up 15%
LBA: Ryanair add 1134 seats per week
MAN: XL disappear and the four largest charter carriers merge to become two. Add to that the massive increase in Egypt and Turkey from MAN opposed to ALC. Quite a stupid comparison to be perfectly honest. Until you can produce figures saying MAN is losing out to LBA (which I am sure a report a few months ago gave a ridiculously high figure of people travelling from Leeds area to MAN) then really it is a poor claim to make.

LPL has had some effect on MAN due to BOTH Ryanair and easyJet accounting for (I think) 16 based aircraft. There is a difference.

I do like Jet2 as an airline and I think they have done masses for the North, especially for my home airport at Blackpool but when it comes to the crunch - Ryanair are simply too big and if they set their sights on a carrier then they will bring them to their knees because they can undercut on prices and STILL make a profit. The destinations chosen do seem to show that they don't plan to live in harmony.