PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots will not be armed... (merged)
Old 29th May 2002, 23:23
Lowlight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armed and Dangerous

Hey guys, Mriya225 sent me over to shed a little light on your request to be armed...

I have a minute or two of background in weapons so put up with this for a second.

Question, what weapon would you like to use? 9mm, 45, 22? Basically you would have to re-work the round to be used in an aircraft. Last images I saw of Federal Air Marshals training used a Sig 9mm, bad choice, your going through the person and into the airframe. The 22 or 45 is all you have and then your only getting so many rounds or at least no first round stopping power. We can't even talk Glaser Safety slugs, designed to penetrate first, expand second. Sub sonic loads, who's going to make them? United Mechanics, sure after the government signs on Remington, or Federal will probably love the contract, thats after some R&D to be sure they don't get sued for jams, malfunctions, or loss of life. Someone will start an Armory Union to outfit you guys, take care of the weapons and ammo. Fragable rounds don't break up when you want them too.

Next, who is going to carry it and where? The Pilot? Left seat, so your also left handed right, because your facing the wrong way and have about 3 seconds to react, so if it was me, I would put the round through my own right shoulder to hit the target in time. So you're probably just giving the gun to the extremely & overly trained hijacker... let's not forget there is going to be about 4 to 5 guys you need to stop. The right round to maybe not penetrate the person and plane more than likely won't cycle the pistol action, so wheel gun or manual, (only 6 rounds max in wheel?) Word on their training, they were only trained by US, English and Russian Special Forces, in places like Fort Bragg, Scotland, and Ukraine, so these guys know what they are doing. This isn't just a last minute idea by a group of extremist.

Then we have to be able to take out at least 4 guys, probably deal with a dead passenger, fly, and live to regret it. Does anyone know how many rounds Police Officers put into the ground during a surprise shooting? 3, a minimum of 3 rounds are going into the ground during a shooting and usually they empty the magazine, that is fact not conjecture. So can you pull the pistol out, compose yourself and fire effectively? (facing the wrong way) I am not sure I could, I actually would feel a bit helpless in that seat... even with a pistol, I bet I start seeing ghosts, jumping at every sound, and touching my piece more often then people would like... Distracting these toys can be.

Best chance I see is locking yourself in the cockpit, and listening to people getting executed behind the door, trying to get you to open it, not a job I want. Another question, your locked in there, you have pistol, 4 guys have your crew and a passengers by the throat and want you out... They already killed two, people are screaming, and you decide to open the door not knowing what you will find on the other side? You step out and two guys with women start to move towards you with their head behind the person, (they don't have to see, they can watch the ground) and as the get closer they throw the first woman at you, jump on top and wrestle the pistol away or do you shoot the women? This is a viable scenerio, try for a leg shot? Go through the floor, what below the aircraft baggage or avionics? Now with that wheel gun you only have 6 rounds, can both armed guys leave the cockpit and attend the problem?

Here is a scene, you're standing in the door, passengers are entering the plane, your wearing the gun, I come on last, hit you and take it, then because I can fly take off without you? Maybe? Guy in court took a weapon off someone today, so it can happen. I don't know too many variables you can't control. A pistol is not the answer, we had a saying in the Marine Corps, "Good to be hard, hard to be smart".

You're better off enlisting the Military to make flights a new duty station and sticking more than one guy on a flight, might be good work. They are already trained, paid and available to work.

Solutions?