PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision Over New York.
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2009, 11:56
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some excellent posts here for sure. May I say that the "see and avoid" principles of US airspace management, earned my utmost respect.

I have yet to see anywhere in OZ that traffic density comes close, yet all one hears is complaints when ever a midair occurs, usually beacause of failure of the mark one eyeball, or more particularly the vacant grey matter behind the mark one turnout.

In the los Angeles basin, of a mere few hundred square miles, wherein existed most of the several highest density traffic areas in the world it was amazing that only one midair occured every two or three years?

However, and the corrollary has been drawn to road traffic, whenever roads become congested they become widened or redesigned to create better flow etc.

The problem seems to be in this instance is that there is no way that the Hudson corridor can be widened due to possibly a rising crescendo of noise complaints. The oveflying RPT traffic will remain at their current levels but the traffic density of lighties has increased tremendously.

What has worked for decades may be so, but like the tank that eventually stops flowing water when the outlet finally becomes at the same level at the storage, these areas need to be examined by the local "Airspace Usage Committe" with a higher degree of responsibility to work out methods of alleviating more conflict.

They are the regulators who need to be questioned, not FAA, ATC or NTSB or anyone else to my mind, mind you those mentioned would all have a responsibility to bring the matter to the attention of the 'AUC' should they see conflict arising.

For clarification, Airspace Usage Committee, i believe is often referred to as Airspace Management Committee

Last edited by topendtorque; 11th Aug 2009 at 19:15.