PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2009, 11:08
hmmmplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Deppressing

How depressing, I am stuck......I am doing ok in the design industry but know I was meant for a different line of work. Airline?? I really don’t know, I always thought I would be a pilot but for no particular reason except I have always been interested in flying (never done anything about it), the lifestyle would suit me fine and 'how could I not like it' kind of optimism. BUT I am one of those people who do not have a clue till I do it!!! I have been accepted to CTC but I have always been dubious about them. It seams too good to be true and possibly it is (especially after reading this forum). the main reason for being dubious was because I could find not a bad word about the company either through word of mouth or any internet search (clever Google editing by CTC I expect) until I found this refreshing forum in all its glory!! And I like to hear the other side.
I have certainly decided to hold fire (you can hold your position as I found out, contrary to what I have read on here), certainly until the ominous holding pool reduces to a manageable size and there is a little more than just a dim glimmer at the end of the tunnel. The other slightly selfish reason being, i have a few contacts who are on the cadet scheme now and i want a non glorified version of 'how its going'.

There was meant to be a point in here somewhere which is, at least i have a half decent job, but still if i am going to be a pilot then why wait, inflation is still roughly level with interest so its a great time for loans. What will i gain, from waiting that actually counts when or if i get there? Maybe less time in a holding pool. but all i will be doing then is working like i am now. I don’t know, i doubt the whole airline industry is going to cave in on its self, so there must be a dim light at least.

A few questions - are we going to have to compete with cheaper pilots from Asia, as my dad insists?

Do you actually have a passion for flying to enjoy the job? (this is not a stupid question have no particular passion for any job, and i don’t know if i have a passion for a job i have never done. i have flown one plane and one sim (for phase 4) and i loved it. but that’s not the job!!!!)

Feedback no matter how harsh and honest, much appreciated from all you lovely people on the pprune forum.