PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision Over New York.
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2009, 10:03
toptobottom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to have touched a few nerves here! Let me respond to a few things:

1) There are many CAA rules and regs that are simply obselete and IMHO the entire book needs reviewing - unfortunately, the wonderful EASA is doing just that and is suggesting some plainly ridiculous new legislation, particularly for PPL(H)s.

2) birddog - I appreciate you're only a mere mortal, but note I'm neither familiar with the precise circumstances of this particular incident nor the area and therefore I'm not qualified to criticise any procedures that should have been followed. I was simply posting my own experience of flying in the US, as compared with many of the other countries I've flown in. Your sarcasm is wasted I'm afraid.

3) I am certainly not suggesting that CAA rules and regs are 'imposed' on our American cousins, whom I agree enjoy an altogether better flying environment (not least the weather!). I wish I could fly there all the time.

4) Nubian - you make some good points; until the reasons for this incident become clear, we won't know if there will be any recommendations that could avoid a repetition. I don't recall my safety pilot asking for 'Flight following' - in fact I hardly heard him say anything - perhaps that's why my experience was so daunting?

5) Gordy:
Amazingly---one can drive safely on a freeway with thousands of cars and NO traffic information---why? Because everyone follows a set procedure or pattern.
Try explaining that to thousands of mainland Europeans who drive to the UK and suddenly have to drive on the left-hand side of the road. The roads from the entry ports are crammed with Traffic Information signs saying 'drive on the left!' because we understand that a visitor won't necessarily be familiar with the set procedures and patterns of a foreign territory. You'd be 'amazed' at how much damage can be caused by somebody operating in an unfamiliar environment without proper instruction. I could easily have been that person in LV.

6) Flying Lawyer - I am still 'amazed' that in the US, armed only with an R22 FAA license and say, 50 daytime hours experience, I can jump into any ship, at night (of course the engine is as safe at night as in the day, but an inexperienced pilot isn't) and I am judged to be safe, despite the total lack of training. IMHO that's absurd, but in the US, it's also entirely legal. And as for your theory that many Brits like rules and regs - that's amazing! I don't know a single UK citizen who secretly wants to be a member of a 'nanny state' - the Government almost had a riot on its hands at just the mention of ID cards!

Sorry if all the Americans on here think I'm trying to take away their flying freedom - I am most certainly not. You guys are very lucky and I wouldn't wish the many onerous and obselete CAA regs on my worst enemy. However, IN MY EXPERIENCE, the controls in the US (at least around LV) are way behind the UK and it's MY VIEW that this is a situation that needs improvement.

TTB