PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gone is the glamour of an airline career...
Old 11th Aug 2009, 09:37
FlyBoyFryer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instead we should have the most capable and able people going into the profession and being rewarded commensurate to their responsibilities and on a par with other professions they could have chosen to go in to. Sponsored Cadet courses are the best means (from zero to hero as someone else said) - it's a totally level playing field. If everyone said enough, and no one applied to the airlines they'd have to start funding these again.
Couldn't agree more. I think the onus is on both the airline industry and FTO's to discern good from bad practice (ito sustainability, long term growth and safety concerns) as well not accept every Tom, Dick and Harry's money simply because they're prepared to cut theirs and others throats in order to fly. I once came across a PPL student who, after more than 100 hours logged, still hadn't been put forward for the skills test. Needless to say the FTO was merrily depositing his cheques whilst continuing to fuel his ambitions to continue towards a CPL, ME and IR...

This is all idealistic of course. The simple economics of profit vs loss dictate a less scrupulous approach/business model.

Beazlebub - what a disturbing clip, funny though. Akin to V6G's comment on another thread about partly enjoying watch sheep blindly jumping off cliffs! Am I one of these zombies too, I wonder at times?!