PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision Over New York.
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2009, 09:23
Kulwin Park

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyway, back to it ...
Earlier on page 1 I mentioned about the undercarriage being down on the piper, then it was said that loss of hydraulics due to wing seperation may cause this, then it was speculated that viewers accounted the helicopter flying up into path of descending fixed wing (maybe due to reported engine troubles reported to tower?)

Having flown both aircraft types, visibilty is bad in piper whe trying to see anything below in slow airspeed, raised nose position, and head down in cockpit to resolve issue. Also visibilty is bad in A-star due to nose lowered immediately after take-off to build speed, and quick scan of sky may have just blended in white painted base of aircraft into white clouded skyline from lower altitude?

These and many other small factors may have contributed to it, and I really can't see that any blame should be layed right now by some previous comments that helicopter is at fault, or plane at fault. If the aircraft were in opposite positions, then visibilty would have been fine, but this was not the case.

The only thing to comment on at the moment would be making awareness to others on how to maintain clearance and safety margins in current corridor, and maybe suggest options of ADS-B or TCAS systems to be implemented. Its a shame what happened, makes me sad because how many times have you almost had a car collision due to sun glare, or just seen a car at last moment due to blending in current surroundings or view impaired, but avoided an accident?? Many would own up to yes, and say that was close, AND learnt from it. .... .... Unfortunately and sadly this one was too close and now we only hope that we can all make positive suggestions on this cruel accident so that it doesnt happen again, coz it could be one of your family in there one day.

1- No blaming either fixed wing or rotary wing in this case, until the case is cleared by the NTSB.
2- My suggestion would be to have 200' seperation in height wise of fixed wing and rotary wing, allowing lower heights for helicopters, as they are more maneuravible in some situations. Floats should also be mandatory, with water sensors to operate them as backup. i know float systems for the Eurocopter, and have personally fitted and packed them. Maybe survivors may have been if not stricken craft sunk to bottom?