PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - News Helicopter Crash in Quebec
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2009, 05:46
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
mickjoebill,

I think you are reading me wrong.

I advocate the use of filming harnesses attached to a hardpoint, it is the only way to for the cameraman to be able to achieve true tracking shots and freedom of shots in all directions being able to lean outside the door whilst sitting on the floor.

I was simply pointing out that harnesses themselves do not offer much in the way of protection in a crash. That's why the cameraman should be seated in their seat with the seatbelt done up for all takeoffs and landings (a legal requirement here in Australia), and they they then slide the door open and move to the filming position whilst attached via the harness once airborne (and a proper door clearing check has been conducted).

If you are trying to film whilst seated and in the seatbelt as opposed to a harness, it is awkward and quite often does not achieve nearly the same results. Much like sling work the cameraman accepts the fact that he is more vulnerable in the even of a crash whilst filming and attached via the harness.

The way you (the pilot) operate the aircraft is the major player in significantly mitigating the risks to the cameraman.