PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Pilots of PPRuNe
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2009, 01:12
IFMU

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Nice to see some more soaring pics on this thread.

Congratulations on your solo MartinCh. The ASK21 is a nice machine to fly. They don't let us solo it on the hill until we have at least a private rating and a little time. Our primary trainers are the Schweizer 2-33's. A great machine in its own right, though many sneer at them. Very low cost, very strong and forgiving, easy to repair. The -21 is a pretty nice all around club ship though. We have 3 of them.

Thanks for the kind words cjboy. If you were to move over here to take up gliding again you would not be the only Englishman in the club!

Originally Posted by mary meagher
Buying one on your own nearly always results in underutilisation. Lots of yachts sit at the dock and never move.
Very true. I seem to fly mine less than 20 hours/year. The balance of my soaring is in club ships, taking somebody else in a 2-place. I can't justify owning a glider financially when I can rent a club ASK-21 for $9/hour, or a 1-26/1-34/2-33 for $6/hour and a $23 tow. But, when it is a great day, and I actually get time to go, I don't have to wait, don't have to share, I just go and fly.

glider12000, great photos. Glad you had a great week, get as many of them as you can now in case work/family etc makes it harder later.

-- IFMU