PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Installing UK purchased TV in France
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2009, 20:06
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,683 Likes on 773 Posts
If purchased outside France it is unlikely to be SECAM compatible.
Sigh, and I thought I was out of date.

Lets take a typical 32" LCD TV on sale at, say, Comet. First on the list: SAMSUNG LE32B450C4WXXU. Specifications (and you really, really, have to dig down into the user manual for this; even on their site it just says "TV Tuner" as it standard that every TV can do this now:

Manual store for analogue channel.
Colour System → Auto / PAL / SECAM / NTSC4.43: Sets the colour system value using the ▲ or ▼ button.
Sound System → BG / DK / I / L: Sets the sound system value using the ▲ or ▼ button.

Oh, and for the digital side, the specifications is:

FUNCTIONALITIES RELATED TO DIGITAL TV (DVB) ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN COUNTRIES OR AREAS WHERE DVBT (MPEG2 AND MPEG4 AVC) DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL SIGNALS ARE BROADCAST. DVB-T is the European consortium standard for the broadcast transmission of digital terrestrial television. Please check with your local dealer about the availability of DVB-T service in your area.

The standard in France for digital TV is MPEG4 AVC, so that will work as well.

I will repeat myself, the vast majority, almost without exception, of LCD TVs will work Europe-wide, as the cost of building in the compatibility is miniscule and allows the same set to shipped/sold everywhere, with only a change of packaging.

Mike will have left by now, but I don't anticipate he will encounter any problems.