PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lack of "Basics"?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2009, 17:55
blueplume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FT

Having lots of equipment on a/c that need it means it should be used as much as possible. This is not really an excuse for people lacking flying skills.
When Captains are reluctant to let the new kids handfly they will be doing it for a good reason because they know how difficult it can be to have to take over the workload that the computer normally has.

The level at which a pilot, PF or PNF, becomes overloaded depends entirely on the level of experience and actual conditions.

To me handflying means from take-off to landing, not merely from just before localiser intercept to landing. You've hardly got time to get it trimmed, let alone get a feel for the a/c.

As I mentioned before, the problem is that people don't spend enough time, if any, in small commuter a/c and air taxi outfits that allow them to learn about planning and decision-making as well as coping with non-Auto-Pilot a/c.
They want to get to the top without starting at the bottom and learning the skills that will stand them in good stead for the rest of their life in aviation.

Before someone throws in the old chestnut about me being bitter about not having made it to the "Big Stuff" because I didn't make it or couldn't handle it, forget it. I will be flying even bigger stuff very shortly and know what I'm talking about because I've seen it from the bottom up.

Cheers.