PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Upavon
Thread: RAF Upavon
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2009, 16:17
GGR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avon Club

Today the old Avon Club is the Sgts mess! I actually parked behind on my recent depressing trip previously entered in here. Where do I start.........myself and my late pal Ian Terry where the 2 DJ's at the Avon Club in 1970/71/72. Ian was a consumate fettler and built the new sound and light system along the back wall in the annex. We installed a stage and off we went! We had Jonny Walker, DLT, Alan Freeman, to name but 3 and as a result of these great radio names coming to Upavon Ian and me were hired to provide equipment at less well engineered places. look at www.manchesterbeat.com go to DJ page and find Graham Green. Name got changed to Green as Rothwell didnt come across too well on my brief but interesting Radio career. Ian eventually left to become pro and did really well in Home Counties and Hants. Sadly he was killed in a microlight crash in 1987, he had left the music business and was a well respected marine engineer based in Lymington Hants. Going back to the Avon Club, we also had some classy bands every other week booked via Tony Morton from Ace Music in Salisbury who also became our agent. Did a gig at Salisbury City hall with the Fortunes! wow big time..........:-) Keep the memories coming. Best to all ex Upavon crew.
GGR