PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of BARRA (EGPR)?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2009, 11:55
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember back in my Loganair days, Scott Grier (CEO at the time) decided it would be a good idea to upgrade the Twotter to a Shorts 360 on the Barra run. The CAA had a raft of requirements, mainly centred around protecting the landing gear from salt and corrosion. The Twotter was duly sold to Wideroe, and the day arrived for the start of the new service... Scott Grier and various dignitaries on Barra waiting for the inaugural flight... but the Shed couldn't get in due to strong winds (as it couldn't manoeuvre in the confined space like the Twotter could). I seem to recall it was three days before the Shed finally made it...

There was also a problem with the 360, whereby if you didn't keep your taxi speed up around 40 kts, the skinny little mainwheels would sink into the sand. If memory serves correctly, a 360 was nearly lost when it got stuck during a proving flight, well below the high tide mark. Somebody noticed the tide racing in... fortunately there was a JCB on tracks nearby, which unceromoniously dragged the Shed out with a chain around it's nose gear.

Unsurprisingly, the Shed lasted a few weeks before the idea was binned. However, Loganair no longer had the Twotter... I seem to recall Wideroe agreed to sell it back to Loganair for three times the purchase price, or something like that.

That was just one of the stupid ideas put forward by our beloved leader, which must have cost the company millions. Not long afterwards, BA took control...