PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overhead Joins - who has priority?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2009, 10:33
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a situation last weekend when I was heading towards an airfield and there was a slower converging light plane following me in. Even though it was a familiar airfield, I elected to do an overhead join. I did all the appropriate calls etc and joined the circuit. While I was on base leg the other aircraft announced that he was also on base leg from a "straight in join on base", and as he was lower than me he was landing first. Even though there was no immediate conflict I made a decision to go around and fly another circuit. I cant help feeling angry towards the other pilot. It might have been legal but I think airmanship was clearly lacking.
You ELECTED to do an OHJ then are surprised when the chap behind you doesn't and then appears to beat you to the runway. Being angry smacks at Road Rage. If the one behind you was slower, why didn't you join on a base and land before him? I'd never do an OHJ at home unless there was no one around and I needed to see the windsock. If the radio guy was there I'd tell him what I was doing.