PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hold Entry
Thread: Hold Entry
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2009, 09:25
masterwarning10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hold Entry

Hi guys.
Recently did my line check with one of our better training captains. Was on the STAR for our destination airport which was busy and we were told to expect to hold. Cpt told me to dump the FMS and manually fly the hold for training.

Inbound track was 280, right hand off a vor 20d out to 25d – simples

Direct entry. Approaching the fix, ATC comfirmed hold and contact approach.

I passed over the fix and turned outbound, doing 180kts. Glanced at the time and used 3d as a cross check. At 3d (23d) and roughly 1 min later I turned to establish on the inbound radial. Cpt asked me what I was doing and insisted that I continue outbound for 5d (25d) before turning. I replied that we were not yet established in the hold and that I needed to establish on the inbound radial, pass over the fix and then fly the published holding pattern.

Cpt insisted that I was wrong so to avoid a row I continued out to 5d before turning and suggested that we continue the discussion on the ground.

Am I wrong. I was taught that the entry, be it direct or otherwise, was simply a maneuver to establish on the inbound radial as quickly as possible before flying the holding pattern. More importantly, what do you guys expect an a/c to do when told to hold from a direct entry?

Thanks in advance

Ps – On the ground, I explained my thinking to the cpt who agreed not to include it in the line check. Still insisted I was wrong. By the way, anyone know what document holds the definition – JAR, ICAO etc.