PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RNZAF
Thread: RNZAF
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2009, 06:22
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Henry, ah, I obviously missed the inference.

As for numbers of RAF aircraft, there are public figures and of course there will be different numbers.

In 1945 civil aviation was very much a minority and the bulk of passenger aircraft available were State aircraft such as the Dakota and the Lancastrian. Then it was likely that the bulk of the aircraft were combat aircraft with relatively few trainers although many obsolete types, such as the Wellington, were to remain as trainers until the 50s.

By 2009 the State could call on its flag carrier and does charter others to instantly bulk up its airlift capacity. The numbers of training aircraft from the primary trainers (with civil registration), through other non-combat types such as the Dominie, Tucano, Hawk and sundry training helicopters would be a far higher proportion of the total today.

For real teeth you only have to look at Tornado GR4, F3 is going soon, GR7/9 and the Typhoon. These numbers are not classified at all.