PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2009, 03:17
tigermagicjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clashes of the CAA's - advice please!

Have had similar topic in the past, however there have been changes since last time.
I will recap in brief.

In 2005 I had a laser operation on my eyes. At that time I did not believe I would be going this route in life.
However last year I decided to make the jump, and start a slow change/transition in my life.

Not knowing where I stood with my eyesight, I sent on request of CAA my pre op report, to both UK CAA and Danish CAA. (both JAA)
They responded with different answers.

UK CAA said no, Denmark said yes, so travelled there and after extensive testing of my eyes, I recieved a class 1 JAA there.

I have started ATPL distance learning in Norway - I am living in London UK.
The Danish CAA found out about the assesment from the UK, and requested full report from the UK, which they recieved, and all was ok for Denmark, as they could confirm I had not lied to them, I had not failed a class 1 UK medical, but only had an assesment rejected. The main thing the Danish CAA wanted to know was that I had been truthfull to them.

I did explain the UK situation, as I called the CAA UK, and they told me despite having a Danish JAA class 1 medical, they would not be able to issue me a UK class 1 medical, because in their opinion I was outside the pre op limits.
However the Danish CAA contacted the UK CAA, requesting them to change their desicion, and explaining in a letter to the UK CAA why, with reference to JAR regulations.

However that letter was sent from Danish CAA in February, I recieved a copy, however I have not heard from either CAA since then.

Now I had planned to travel to Norway, to take my CPL/IR and ME, as I have been flying much there before, and is easy access from London. However since all this started we have had a baby daughter 6 months ago, and to be honest I would prefer to do all in the UK, at Stapelford, as this would be easier and more practical for me and my new family.

Now I am in a predicament, what do I do, how can this be solved? I have heard people tell me of "similar stories" where UK CAA have given class 1 medical, however my conversation in Februray seemed to be a very clear no!

Please any suggestions would be welcome.