PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2009, 16:52
Will Fraser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC

I'm seeing some overlap between this thread and the Colgan accident.
Your last post focuses directly on the interface of Automation and manual flight. It isn't a stretch to say that the heightened hazard is at handoff. AF447 and Colgan both had a/p drop in a charged and atypical F/D setting. It is unknown what the exact chain was in 447, except to say that the a/c was lost in/at the time frame in question; with Colgan the a/p disconnect happened just prior to shaker.

With 447, the challenges appear to be IAS and/or weather related, with Colgan pilot error(s). Either way, training 'to the moment' is under review.
In 447 the 'errors' in question appear to be mechanical in origination, with Colgan, likely PE. Either way, it's of interest where the training in both instances takes the discussion. Pitch and Power.

It's inescapable that the default is manual flight. 447 aside, I've noticed broad similarities in many of the more recent accidents. Turkish, Perpignan, Colgan, Birgenair, even Continental off runway, these are accidents whose direct cause was a loss of Pitch awareness/control. 447 may have been. It may be simplistic, especially for the more detail oriented, but to the extent that tragic consequences have resulted, a focus and consequent discussion of basic flight issues seems to need to be had.

Personally, I don't think it's necessary to start Stall training ATP's. It seems to be something else that is present, or lacking. If a disease can be prevented, it doesn't need to be treated.