PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S/E Circling To Land: To Retract Or Not To Retract?
Old 29th May 2002, 16:22
'%MAC'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In most light twins you simply don’t have the power available to leave the gear and flaps out in a go-around. The typical procedure in a circle to land maneuver is gear down at or before the marker and flaps at the max takeoff position (for the 737, flap 15), this configuration is maintained until on base leg when landing flaps are selected and landing checklist is complete. Missed approach or go-around (balked, wave-off, what ever you want to call it) is go-around thrust, rotate to go-around attitude, flap raised to max takeoff (again flap 15), positive rate, gear up, new speed schedule. (Before others start yelling at me that’s from pg 04.70.49 Boeing manual, and it also applies to the EMB-120, the BE-02 is flap 17 degrees but the same procedure applies).

One airline training instructor put it this way, “Either the missed approach or aborted landing is in reality, simply a takeoff begun at a higher altitude and without the necessity of accelerating on the ground.... Just get takeoff power on the aircraft, get it into a normal takeoff configuration, and then fly as normal a takeoff path as possible.”

If you are in the situation of an OEI go-around, have the other person pump the gear and flaps up. (It will keep them busy, alleviating a sense of helplessness from them.) If you are flying single pilot, first try not to get into that situation, if you can’t help it, then it’s you’re choice to raise the gear and flaps (ain’t command great). I’ve forgotten how difficult it is to pump the gear on the Aztruck, if I had the performance and no SIC, I might leave the gear down (considering environmental variables, icing, degree of performance, etc.).

Many training organizations consider the night single engine circle to land maneuver a double emergency and do not train for such eventuality. The thinking is that it is better to go straight in with a tail wind, then try circling with such marginal performance.

Congratulations on your upgrade