PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nice airport - is it difficult for flightdeck ?
Old 9th Aug 2009, 12:00
LN-KGL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I experienced only winds from the east during my short weekend stay in June this year. On arrival Friday we did the usual tour over the Mediterranean Sea and followed with 49° right turn on to very short final for runway 04L (the Reviera approach in on 176° beam from VOR CGS) - here is a photo taken only seconds before touch down

Departure on Monday afternoon was from 04R. Using the right hand runway for departures the airport get more distance to the areas sensitive to noise, but the distance between the runways aren't great enough for two runways simulatious operation - and the go-around pattern and a normal SID follow the same path for the first part of the flight. We had to wait for the Jet2 733 (G-CELE) to land and vacate runway 04L before being given the go-ahead for our departure.

Charts for NCE (although not fully updated) can be found here:
http://www.fly-sea.com/charts/LFMN.pdf

For an aviation enthusiast NCE is very good spot for finding interesting aircraft - the beautiful 39 year old lady below was the catch of the day for me.

But there is also other gems in the neighbourhood - like this Étendard I found on the beach front just west of Fréjus (close to the now shut down naval air station Fréjus St Raphaël).