PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots self-employed for tax purposes.
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2009, 09:59
Flyingstig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots self-employed for tax purposes.

Over on Centre Court the FR Union or Nots are in yet another tie breaker. However, one topic that has recently appeared is reference to pilots on contract to Brookfield being registered as self-employed for tax purposes and thence `softening the blow`.

You may have noticed that I was approached by Brookfield and was hopeful of a contract with FR. Nothing came of it, but during that short-lived and clearly misguided period of optimism, I spoke to my accountant on this subject.

He was, frankly, sceptical about the chance of success. In his opinion, and that of the taxman he thought, pilots are employed to fly aeroplanes by `employers` be they the airline or an agency! However, we left it that I would get a job first.

There must be people out there in this situation and I would welcome any feedback on this. Obviously if you are `bending` or `dodgeing` then please dont put yourselves at risk! Perhaps it only works if you pay tax outside UK e.g. Ireland.

I have my fingers crossed for a job in UK that would be based in UK but for an outside agency, and the pay would benefit from some `blow softening` of this type.

Please..... info, advice, experience, no insults or slanging matches. Take that to the Centre Court!!!