PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Club of Great Britain
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2009, 06:08
Benet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HCGB

I've been a member of the HCGB for four or so years. Go to their social events. You won't feel left out then.

Its true that many, if not most, of the people you will meet own their own helicopters, smart cars, and live in substantial houses in the south of England. I don't. But they, like you, are human beings underneath, and share your interest in helicopters to boot. I've turned up at many events in a scrappy second-hand car. I've turned up at some events on a bicycle, although that's just my own personal kink. My helicopter background is just as valid as any of theirs - better, in many cases, since my licence is a CPL.

Don't let the wealth gap put you off. You'll make friends; some of them will offer you a free ride to the next event - don't be shy to ask.

I'm keeping up my subscripton even though I'm spending this year in Abu Dhabi (closing the wealth gap slightly) and I've enjoyed two exceptional fly-in events while in Britain, both in borrowed aircraft. Sure, I can't afford to join their cross-channel jaunts. But do what you can - make an effort, and you'll fit in fine.