PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision Over New York.
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2009, 02:34
Tfor2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed wing vs. helicopters

Back in the 70s, I too owned a PA-32 (fixed gear), kept it at Teterboro, and lived in Manhattan. Over several years, it was my pleasure to take friends and visiting relatives VFR out over that corridor to view the majesty of the island. They took the pictures. The rules were strict. On takeoff, report intentions to TEB tower, straight to the GW Bridge, turn South, stay to the right, maintain altitude (1,000 or 800 as I remember), see the passenger ships lined up below on the left, down to and around the Statue of Liberty, wave to the diners at Windows on the World in the South Twin Tower (same altitude) on the way back to the Bridge, and land again at Teterboro. This was and is a famous traditional trip, and a privilege to use safely, always keeping a good lookout of course.

To my mind, helicopters are the culprits. I think they should be treated like power boats treat sail boats. Or cars treat pedestrians. The fixed wing on this corridor should have the right of way, being unable to easily avoid surprise appearances from ... above? Underneath? Behind? Sideways?

C'mon, think about it. DON'T advocate further restrictions on VFR fixed wing flights on this particular trip.