PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 8th Aug 2009, 23:07
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Will
No altitude beyond 100 feet gain or loss is permitted, to pass the exercise. The Shaker is a Stall alert, not a Stall.
Quite aware Will of all the ins and outs of shakers, pushers, stalls, deep stalls, minimum speed in stalls, accelerated stalls...

Read my other post statement responses to see what I am saying... particularly on KISS Vs Differentiation for type training aircrews. Specifying those sort of criteria, whether an aircraft has the power to safely accelerate from 'initial shaker onset' or not, as a fundamental requirement - puts an emphasis on 'a critical case' and 'ticking a box'... when in fact 99/100 times, +/- 100 ft altitude is not and never will be, the PRIME stressor and should not therefore be a KEY parameter in recovery, unless that recovery is specifed as very clearly defined e.g. 1/100 likely.cases

If this style of (ridiculous) training requirement (just because the aircraft can!), ignoring the esential 'default, cautionary slow speed response, always taught previously ' - slight fwd stick (about 10 ~100 times faster in moving away from shaker speed than even moving hands towards throttles), then 2ndary actions - is allowed to blossom, we are building in enormous extra complexity (& thus possibility of mental confusion) to type training.

We seem to be training to ridiculous (& seemingly unnecessary) criteria, perhaps even well before the basics are firmly imprinted (in hard-wired synapses)..

We (again) may never know, but it does seem there was gross confusion at shaker - what price pass/fail +/- 100 ft height gain training then? Especially when that same training (large sudden power increase in a slow and overpowered craft) probably also exacerbated the (non) crisis.

Patently naive and grossly overemphasised criteria in my opinion... that might have played a part in the deaths of 50 poeple?

Additionally, this style of training, assumes (a very dangerous thing in aviation) that everything else is fully functional & accurate; engine response, trim state, instruments and shaker speed onset

Question: Can you power away from shaker speed with <= 100ft ht change with iced wings or tail - and if not, what happens if you try? (yes, I know the bug will be higher, but all the same...)

====
Sorry, a bit angry at a/c manufactuirers and airlines and certification authorities these days, something's gone to their heads... arrogance and power, perhaps automation too. Common sense and caution and conservatism seems to have flown away for a rush of new, trendy ideas...

Last edited by HarryMann; 8th Aug 2009 at 23:24.