PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Navigation questions
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2009, 22:53
FRQ Charlie Bravo

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

just a bit of info. Despite the excellent advice from JulieFlyGal this is a protractor:

A compass is what you may mean and that is essentially a set of dividers with a pencil holder like this bad boy :
(this $3 tool is what I suggest using as it's a bit more useful but have a set of true dividers in your bag in case your exam invigilator disagrees - very unlikely)

If you want to spend about $60, how about this ninja-like set of dividers (when I was in the military we called them "ten points"... despite having eleven points).

Take a green Texta to seven points and a black Texta to the others then using any line of longitude (N-S) place the Zero point (the first of the green tips) on zero and the Six point (the seventh green point) 60 degrees or 60 nm away and you've got 10 nm miles per division.

Another use for these "ten points" is on the Perf and Loading exam (interpolating on perf charts) and the Flight Planning exam (Initial Buffet Boundry charts etc).

Bellow is a collection of inexpensive compasses (pencil or lead holders) and dividers.

~FRQ CB

PS I agree with Enema Bandits Dad, when in doubt Charlie out.