PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision Over New York.
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2009, 19:29
birrddog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Mayor gave the best report out of everyone, and resisted the hysteria about closing the Hudson River Corridor as promoted by CNN.

Sadly the report is that only two bodies have been recovered so far putting doubt on the earlier announcements that there was a survivor.

Italian family of 5 + pilot in Liberty Helicopter, and 3 in the Piper (Saratoga?), one a child.

Divers have located one wreckage believed possibly to be that of the helicopter.

No longer a rescue operation, but a salvage operation being performed by NYPD divers.

Being my local neck of the woods, and having flown several times in the corridor I can attest to the alertness and situational awareness particularly of the helicopter pilots in the corridor.

Sadly CNN's "resident expert" who has only ever flown above the corridor helped fuel incorrect hysteria about how congested he believed the space to be just because it is under busy airspace.

Glad I cancelled my flight today. North of the corridor though would have had a concerned Mrs B at home.

Thoughts go out to those involved and our fellow rotorheads who fly in the area.