PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Information - Questions
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2009, 19:27
junction34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scottish Information - Questions

I'm looking for some information on the service provided by Scottish Info on 119.875 in the South of Scotland.

Am I correct in understanding the service is provided from several radio sites all on the same frequency?

If so, what are the site locations and does each site have a slight frequency offset?

We've been having problems with the radio on our aircraft and although the radio has just been serviced by the manufacturer, we've still got very poor radio performance. There's no doubt in my mind the problem is with the aircraft - I think we've got breakthrough from the ignition system, and the antenna doesn't appear to have a very consistent radiating pattern.

Today for example, we had reasonable reception when flying away from the airfield transmitter, on other days it seems to work best with the other station is approx. 30 degrees either side of the nose. Hopefully by finding out the transmitter site locations I'll be able to get a better idea if the problem is the radiation pattern or if we're just not getting enough transmit power to the antenna.

The second question is if Scottish Info do have multiple radio sites, is there any triangulation capability like 121.5? If, for example, I'm faced with an emergency over the south of Scotland or north Irish Sea, would I be better to convey my position to Scottish Info or would a change to 121.5 be a better choice. The scenario that I'm thinking of would be an engine failure over water, which depending on altitude would give me between 30 sec and 5 minutes to try and make sure my position is known before depending on the PLB.

Thanks in advance, and if anybody has recommendations for a good radio engineer in the north of England or south / central Scotland I'd be grateful.