PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 8th Aug 2009, 15:09
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our SOPs are making a difference between stall well clear of ground and stall with risk of immiment ground contact (which means below 500ft AGL).
Thanks!

I thought that might be it... but everywhere I read lately I see the potential for gross confusion...

The reason for this is that where the desired KISS philosophy cannot be adhered to, one must not glosss over the differences and implications of any differences - 'just a mention' or 'touch on the subject but don't hammer it' as a training guideline, is IMHO - lethal.

Either mention it, train for it and make damn sure it is understood and hard-wired in, or it shouldn't be part of a syllabus - at all!

The philosophy, psychology not just the structure & content of aircrew training programmes seems to require a certification in and of itself. Witness AA wake turbulence as well as several others now coming out of the woodwork - no doubt they've been waiting to bite for quite some time.

Of course, this is not from current hands-on industry experience but a 'remote viewpoint' from reading many topics in these pages, many accident investigations over the years and an involvement with flight & flying for a decade or some way back when... so not to be given too much weight

Last edited by HarryMann; 8th Aug 2009 at 23:19.