PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ra Aus Not Goming To A Cta Near You
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2009, 11:48
Big_Binocs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaap Is Cta

I don't want to get in the way of your discussion here but thought I might clarify something.

Be very clear that a GAAP CTR IS CTA.

Don't be misled by the fact that you don't get a formal airways clearance. The whole design of GAAP is to facilitate high movements of VFR aircraft in VMC. To reduce frequency congestion GAAP uses standard arrival/departure procedures as outlined in AIP ERSA which are used in conjunction with the verbal circuit entry instruction and constitute your airways clearance.

While separation in the air in VMC is primarily with the pilot, you must comply with an ATC instruction and you still require a clearance to enter/transit GAAP CTRs. Try entering without a clearance and you will incur an incident report in the form of a VCA (Violation of Controlled Airspace).

Also when it is non-VMC then it is full separation, IFR to IFR/SVFR and SVFR to SVFR, we don't suddenly stop becoming a GAAP CTR and change into Class D.

If it makes it a bit clearer for you then try thinking of GAAP as Class D with a few exceptions in VMC .

We have heard a few rumblings of this whole RAAus in CTA issue but as yet not received any formal direction. As far as this humble tower person is concerned I have no opinion either way on the merits of the RAAus vs GA debate, you are all the same to me I just process you as you come. Besides we have bigger issues (to us anyway) to worry about with the CASA drive towards Class D.

Hope that clarified the CTA thingy for you guys, if I missed the point then sorry.

Cheers