PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2009, 09:20
Barkly1992
Grumpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Robin had an interesting history in Oz. They were built in Canada. Had the same engine as the PA28-161 - were a two seat fully aerobatic aircraft. Fun to fly and this one was on cross-hire to the Canberra Aero Club.

The company in Canada decided to stop production and a Canadian entrepenuer decided to buy the last (I think) about 8 aircraft and the moulds and jigs and came to Oz with his attractive tall blonde third wife (he was short and fat) and in 1984-5 embarked on a Oz marketing program. They cost at that time about A$35,000 VFR. They were all black and gold.

LXX one was bought by a friend of mine. The Sydney Aerobatic School bought a few and I think one went to Adelaide. One of the SAS regos was SEX.

One was involved in a fatal accident at Sydney and another was written off as the crew filmed their own crash when they failed to recover from a spin. It was piloted by someone who was an editor of a popular aviation magazine who ended up replacing me at the CAA - in safety promotion.

That was about it.

The smooth talking Canadian went broke but the aircraft stayed on.

I would suspect that there are about 3-4 still flying - must check.

I had some fun in it at flying comps where this pic was taken. From memory this was a forced landing and I would have failed - the fence was dropped by the team as I would have taken it out. It just looks like I am going to get 50 points. But good practice.

Barks.

PS: I like the V35 - reminds me of the XK140 Jag.