PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 - LAME positions.
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2009, 07:11
Bolty McBolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonny V
If it wasn't for some twit in IR we'd be picking the right men for the job not having to consult the union at all. As for the Melbourne mafia setting the criteria who knows but I would have thought your whole stupid executive would've put in their penny’s worth being the top notchers they are
29th July 2009 13:44
As I alluded to before, the A380 criteria process was MEL centric . I tried to find out information about the selection process not one SYD based ALAEA rep or Exec had anything to say until after a formal meeting was held in SYD, well after the fact. When I asked why, I was greeted with screwed faces and mutterings. The reason to keep the A380 selection process quiet may have been to keep the scuttlebutt to a minimum but IMHO the characters I spoke to seemed peeved that they would have to answer to the members in SYD and were not involved in the criteria process.

the rim
lets face it you should get selected by what you do at work and how you perform...ie if you are the biggest bludger and don’t know anything why should get training before someone who gets in there and does the work ....
Myself and many more would agree with you Rim but this is where we may need to tread carefully.
Currently there is no "real" (PPR) performance based review or rating of personnel in engineering therefore QF management have no bone fide way of rating people other than the old school method.(rumour matey club feed back etc)
If we (the union) demand the A380 selection criteria without any interview or current skill base requirements in the selection process.
The company may demand in the IRC (Fair Work Aust) that a management managed/controlled PPR system be installed to allow a "rated" selection process in the future.
A PPR system is probably something that should be instituted and in times of peace would be beneficial to all parties IF administered well. A big IF
BUT
in times like the unpleasantness of 2008 with M and his Hench men at the helm imagine your review points if you did not tow the company (M) line of thinking or worse still you could be PPR ed out the door perfectly legally if part of company policy.
Next question is does the ALAEA let the selection process slip to protect all the members rights against a new PPR process or fight for the current selection process and give the company the ammunition make changes that could affect all in the future.

I don't submit this as a conspiracy hatched out by management but it would be how I would take on the association on this matter. If I can think of this having a beer and mag with mates on a Friday night I am sure the people whom are paid to think up this stuff already have.

Off topic and a bit out side the square.
My 2 cents