PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2009, 23:23
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EasyJet Slot Applications

Careful, folks! There is a very big difference between applying for airport runway slots and actually launching a new scheduled service. DUS and FRA are not 'in the bag'. What has come to light regarding EasyJet so far should be viewed as an expression of interest in new services rather than a commitment to introduce them. And its a very big assumption to suppose that runway slots will be forthcoming at Frankfurt in particular; Dusseldorf offers a more realistic prospect.

However, I must confess to some slight disappointment that EasyJet's interest (or at least that which we know about) appears to focus on routes already well served from MAN (I include CPH and MUC in this). We risk trading one carrier for another with this blueprint, whilst cities such as Berlin, Venice and Warsaw are unserved from MAN. Then there are Madrid and Lisbon with token seasonal operations only ex-MAN. (Just to pre-empt the usual suspects: yes, we know that there are other airports in the UK which offer these destinations, but MAN is a large and distinct market regardless of the element of overlap).

Oh well. I suppose we should be grateful for any interest in new services in the current climate!