PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots will not be armed... (merged)
Old 29th May 2002, 11:01
Capt. Crosswind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti Highjack Measures

Mriya225

My comment related to the arguments against the arming of pilots & not to the sub threads such as the geopolitical aspects of the War against Terrorism etc.
I would not be so churlish as to dispute your right to voice an opinion on these matters. (See my apology to Neutral99)
However,unhelpfull arguments in the negative, such as 'pilots shooting themselves by accident',& your statement without any qualification that "pilots will never be armed" cross the line where your rights end and an Aircraft Commanders rights & responsibilities begin, responsibilities laid down in legislation,( not that bureaucrats like J.Magraw appear to understand this.) You now buy into the area of command responsibility & my suggestion was/is that this is reserved for those who are so qualified.
For that minority of the qualified who make statements like "no guns in my cockpit " they have abdicated their responsibilty & should not have command of a balloon on a string.

Read the posting by Orca on the people who are armed in the performance of their duty & reflect on what is at stake here.

As for the action of the aircrew on 9/11, they did as they were trained to do in a hijack -" go along with the demands & when you get on the ground it will be negotiated to as safe a conclusion as possible." We now know this is not the way to handle a WW III hijack, it is now a matter of having superior security & firepower.

Last edited by Capt. Crosswind; 10th Jun 2002 at 01:32.