PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What type of service do you require? (UK)
Old 7th Aug 2009, 11:21
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly regularly in the South, in Class G and free from any commercial traffic - VFR/VMC on a see-and-be-seen basis - and I don't want (or need) any ATS Traffic or Control Service to do so.
In that case then there is no need for controlled airspace. I still enjoy jumping into a light aircraft (when I can) and getting airborne. Light aircraft flying is all about having fun and the more complicated it becomes then the fun factor can start to diminish.

I am not suggesting that the whole of the SE of the UK suddenly changes to a large area of CAS. It would be a nightmare and the cost involved would be to the detriment of all of us and it would achieve little. It would make light aircraft flying a ball ache for us and for ATC too.

The case for more CAS lies in the regions. Norwich has been mentioned and that is a classic example. Others could include Inverness and don't forget the outbounds from Newcastle and Durham Tees that file direct to Otringham and blast straight through the Vale of York AIAA! The majority of operators from NT or NV do seem to resort to using P18 which is the safest option however some don't and those that don't are generally foreign operators, many of which won't have a clue what a AIAA actually is! The chances of getting more CAS in that part of the world is remote since the military will object. However the problem could be easily solved with outbound flight plans from NT and NV being met with a REJ message when attempting to file direct to OTR, thus forcing them to use CAS.

I started off my airline flying being a regular user of Class G airspace on the east coast so perhaps I am more aware of the need for more CAS than others might be. It is a few years ago since I flew in that part of the world but I do remember the close calls and the RA I had with two Tornados too! However I have not lost touch with my G/A roots and I am only too aware that light aircraft flying should be as straight forward and as fun as possible, which is why I still get involved with it.

There is no point ruining Joe Bloggs day trip to Le Touquet for lunch. However the line has to be drawn when someone can fly through the ILS localiser at Norwich (for example) without needing to talk to them. It might not be so bad if there are just a few movements a day but there are 19 IFR inbound flight plans to Norwich today.

Last edited by Mister Geezer; 7th Aug 2009 at 11:42.