PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need Flying Job
Thread: Need Flying Job
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2009, 08:11
PappyJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got some different thoughts on this. BelArgUSA is a well experienced chap with some good advise. But, there are exceptions.

In the USA or Europe, I would have to agree wholeheartedly with BelArgUSA, but there are opportunities in other places. You just have to be creative when you approach these companies.

I am aware two young, newly licensed, pilots who approached an Asian based airline with the following proposal just a few months ago:

"... We have licenses. You type us (similar to local cadet), and we'll fly for you for two years on local terms (Really low salary by Western Standards and no benifits)..".

The company bought in, and these two are now weathering the current storm whilst gaining the experience to move on later.

During the last decline in the industry (2001), I talked with a young man with some, but not much, operational experience who was boarding my flight and had done something very similar to the above. He's a current jet captain today, with full salary and perks, at that same company.

Many others are also being hired these days. But, most of them are of higher experience levels.

The point is this. It's not all "Gloom and Doom" out there. The are jobs to be had. It's just going to take some "out of the box" thinking to find them.

BelArgUSA. You and I have weathered these storms before (too many times) and came out reasonably well. I agree that we can't be too optimistic about the current conditions, but we owe it to these folks to offer at least a little encouragement. Certainly no offense intended.