PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Conservation
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2009, 07:32
PappyJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imagine the yearly savings in a year.
Yes, some airlines have already recognized the benefit.

Is there a Safety compromise behind this?
Provided that the performance, climb gradient and other factors are considered, I think most folks would agree that there is no compromise to safety.

I see crews doing hi speed descents almost like SOP's burning extra fuel unnecessarily etc
I see it all the time. Personally, I like to stay high, then plan the descent to 1000 AGL with the thrust at idle (whenever possible). I'm also not a fan of high speed (Below 10000 feet) for another reason - Birds! A bird strike at 250 kts is one thing, but at 330 knots, well???

The idea is that I wouldn't want to get shot down if I initiate a discussion that may not be welcome by management, just guessing though. Therefore trying to get as much info as possible on the subject.
I'd be surprised if your management group would be opposed to saving money! Provided of course that it didn't cost them any to do that.

With that in mind, people can be weird. I've been in more than my fair share of piss'in contests with managers who didn't want to accept that one of their "Subordinates" came up with a more efficient way of doing something then they did. I guess its a face-saving thing. Funny though, they're the same folks want everyone to have warm and fuzzy CRM skills.