PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 7th Aug 2009, 03:43
TalkSpike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD,

Having a quick look through by BH notes, the emerg proc for insufficient tail rotor thrust in flight has two options:

1. if continued flight is not possible........
2. If continued flight is possible........

In this emerg the S92 has one option:

1. Enter autorotation.

The one flight control coupling that the BH has that the S92 does not is collective airspeed to yaw, an electrical coupling provided through the trim. Due to the camber of the tail rotor pylon (not present in the S92) trim inputs are used to counter left yaw produced due to lack of airflow over the pylon. The trim input is slowly washed out until the IAS reaches approx 120KIAS.

Could be wrong but it is my belief the reason you may still be able to maintain continued flight in the event insufficient TR thrust in the BH is due to the properties of the tail rotor pylon. Personally never tried it myself and maybe it would only work with partial loss of thrust?

Anyway I'm sure there is a good reason this coupling and the properties of the tail rotor pylon were left out of the S92, maybe someone else can answer that question.

TalkSpike.