PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belvedere HC1
Thread: Belvedere HC1
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2009, 02:50
Saint Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasalodie:

I haven't seen that Belvedere flypast movie clip for a very long time. But my memory suggests it was in late '66, not late '67. If you could look very, very closely, you could see me riding in the cabin of one of them and sticking my head out of the rear escape hatch taking photographs.
Belvedere experts would have noticed that at least one of the helicopters was fitted with rotating beacon anti-collision lights, this was probably the last significant modification embodied on the aircraft.

I was trying to think who might have shot the movie, most of the camera angles seem to be from Seletar East Camp, where 66 Sqdn was located, but with one or two from West Camp. I remember three people on 66 Sqdn who were movie buffs, one was a Flt. Lt. pilot who was probably flying that day, the other two were both Corporals, one an airframe fitter and the other an instrument man (I think).

Also, the tail of a Beverley visible behind the Seletar control tower reminds me that these aircraft used to make occasional trips to Vietnam, but I could never determine the purpose, remember this was '66/'67 and there was a war going on.

Fareastdriver:

The 'windsocks' on the main rotor blades were to prevent over-speed of the rotors during engine high power runs on the ground. They were referred to as 'blade bags' (about 6" diameter and 18" long and closed at the rear end) that were attached to the blade trailing edge about half-way along the length.

I'm amazed at the amont of interest this helicopter has generated here. So for those of you who like trivia, here is a question: How do you change the rear engine of a Belvedere? Hint: You lost sleep about having to do it in the jungle.