PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Informal heli nights UK (including arrangements)
Old 6th Aug 2009, 18:16
THM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gary

I am not directly part of the management at the Helicopter Museum but I have indeed been involved with the museum since its concept and was a trustee for many years.

I was not aware of the previous history referred to but would make the following comments:

1. The only people involved with the museum who are paid are the immediate managers, all others are volunteers.

2. Sadly there are costs in running and maintaining all the facilities at the museum (electricity, rates etc.) and as an organisation it has a long record of being financially self sufficient and not committing to any bank loans. This has been possible by a combination of prudent financial control, local and national grants, donations and revenue from visitors.

3. Over the last 19 years of the Helidays event it has been possible for the organisers, with the generous support of both military and civilian helicopter flyers, to achieve the original aims of the event. That was to raise funds for a number of charities, including the museum, and to promote helicopters to the public. This has always been appreciated by the organisers who are not the museum. The Helicopter Museum has obviously benefitted greatly from the Helidays event providing the excellent facilities now in place. Have a look at the history page on the museum site to see how much it has developed The Helicopter Museum, the World's Largest Dedicated Helicopter Museum.

4. Fly-in visitors to the museum are always welcome for the reasons 500e highlights and the “landing fee” is usually the cost of entry to the museum. I am sorry 500e had a bad vibe on your last visit but what happened to you is not normal practice at the museum. Volunteers at the museum are unpaid volunteers.

If you decide to go back for the evening event pm me and I will be happy to sponsor the tea, sandwiches and cakes.

THM