PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 737 Off Runway at DEN
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2009, 15:26
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously, I quite agree with the recommendations contained in the Boeing documents …
Keep the aeroplane on centreline with rudder pedal steering and rudder. Keep a light forward pressure on the control column during the initial phase of take-off roll to increase nosewheel steering effectiveness. The rudder becomes effective between 40 and 60 kt. Above 80 kt, gradually relax the forward control column pressure.
…and perhaps my questioning of not having the control column “full forward” at the start of the takeoff roll may have been a bit “over the top.” Sorry. I tend to get pragmatic (to a fault) in light of some actions – or the absence thereof. My point was that with the potentials of having a somewhat questionable runway surface (i.e., the potential of having the existing crosswind blow some of the snow and ice across the runway) together with the fact that the crosswind was reasonably substantial, one would think that maintaining nosewheel steering effectiveness would have been uppermost on the minds of the flight crew. However, regardless of how you read “light forward pressure on the control column,” it would seem to me to suggest that a “light forward pressure on the control column” is what is being recommended. Looking again at the FDR traces for control column position, the control column is maintained at “zero” for the initial portion of the takeoff roll, even moving to slightly nose UP at one point.

Perhaps the effectiveness of the nosewheel steering had zero contribution to the departure from the runway … but I have seen more than my fair share of captains who believe that if rudder pedal activation of nosewheel steering is good, then surely tiller activation of the nosewheel has to be better. Unfortunately, in strong crosswind conditions (particularly those involving the possibility of slippery runway conditions) that is exactly bassackward! Recall the Tower Air B747 departure from the runway at Kennedy? Use of the tiller isn’t always the best course of action. If you have your right hand on the throttles, and you’re relying fully on rudder pedal steering, your left hand can easily provide whatever forward control column position necessary. However, if you have your right hand on the throttles and your left hand on the tiller, you’ll have a lot of trouble maintaining light forward pressure on the control column, unless you ask the F/O to provide that piece for you.