PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly for a living or fun?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2002, 06:07
Mach the Knife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

VORTIME, There is another option, have you considered military flying. In terms of flying for the challenge and fun I don't think it can be beaten. There are down sides to life in the military but if the flying is good they are unimportant. I have been flying single and 2 seat mil jets/turboprops for the last 20 odd years and still break into an uncontrollable grin every time I release the brakes. Flying performance aircraft at high speed, in formation or close to the ground is an amazing sensation, money cannot buy this kind of hands on flying (unless as a passenger once in a blue moon and what's the point in watching someone else have all the fun). I also have a full commercial (ATPL) licence and just cannot bring myself to take the option to leave and use it. Occasionally I have to fly a long range transit to get to a deployment, and that straight line high level flying sucks. If I had to make your choice I'd go mil, then IT and fly a small aerobatic aircraft for fun, and if I just needed the money then flying an airliner would do if there were no other options. No offence meant to the many happy and professional commercial pilots that may read this, just my personal experience.