PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birdsville Races 2009
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2009, 13:08
oldishfart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good old days

Judging by the number of cans on the ground outside the pub, this photo must have been taken about a month before the races. When I was there in the 80s the footpath was covered with cans, spilling over to the roadway, on Saturday. Hey, one year they even had beer cans (was it Fosters?) specially printed. They must be collectors items now. I think I've got one or two somewhere, if I can ever find them.

Yes, they were the good old days. On the way back to Melbourne dropped into Innamincka. Got a lovely photo of my twin commanche parked out the front of the pub. Probably have the plane confiscated for doing that now.

baboom-baboom-baboom-baboom-baboom-baboom-baboom. Any of you old timers recognise that sound from a famous BDV races attraction?

I've nothing to fear from drug and alcohol testing, but a ramp check on me at Moorabbin twenty years ago on the way to BDV, when I was a bit inexperienced, might have been beneficial. In the event, I climbed out of MB, with 4 POB, camping gear, food, etc in a rented PA28 at about 100fpm. The tower called me at a couple of miles, by which time I had climbed to maybe 400 feet to ask whether ops were normal. Mind you, I have never repeated (nor wanted to) that sort of somewhat marginal flight. Glad I survived the good ol' days!

Am thinking of going this year, but all this talk of ASICs, drug testing, fences, is putting me off.