PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coober Pedy - "Cessna takes off without pilot"
Old 6th Aug 2009, 03:30
The Green Goblin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you guys who where taught the proper technique care to share it with us please. It would be a handy thing to know when stuck in the above situation!
Depends on the Aircraft.

In a Cessna I would firstly chock the pilot side wheel with rocks, wood etc and apply the park brake. I would then rotate the propeller until it was on a compression stroke. Then I would turn the master on, mags on, and prime the engine, (usually enough charge in the battery to give the 520 a squirt) and set the throttle an inch forward. I would then walk to the co-pilot side, stand behind and to the right of the propeller and placing a rag on my hand to protect against the sharp edge of the prop pull down through the compression of the motor, making sure you and your body are well clear of the disk and are not going to be knocked forward into the propeller if the aircraft lurches forward by a strut or a low wing/high wing leading edge.

Once the engine is started (takes a few goes on a 520) climb in through the copilot door and into the pilot seat check your Ts and Ps and remove the chocks by leaning out of the door with your feet on the brakes.

I know a non pilot is not allowed to manipulate the controls however you can brief a passenger on how to use the toe brakes and get them to help you if you feel as the skipper that they are competent. You can also brief them on how to shut the engine down if it lurches forward uncontrollably by pulling the lever closest to them which is the mixture.

You are operating outside of the POH and the REGS if you do this so you must weigh it all up and be prepared for the consequences if it goes pear shaped.

I'm not advocating the above procedure, it is up to YOU to seek the knowledge and training of someone who is authorized to give it and have it stamped or entered in your logbook to say you have received the training. It is also a last resort option and if you can contact your base, do so first and discuss with the owner/cp/engineers before attempting a hand start. If you do something recklessly and ill planned then you must be prepared to accept the consequences.