PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information regarding the Top End
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2009, 02:38
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I have said many times on here before you are best off to dig into a location with a high chance of employment. Driving around is an option in the odd chance you are Johnny on the spot, but in days gone by it was a waiting game.

I'd be going to Kunus and digging in, working at the servo particularly the shell road house as most of the pilots get their luncho pies from there (god I miss 'em) and wait it out.

I'd then crack the tonne and head to Hardy in Darwin if the opportunity
presents although there are other options also.

It really is the wrong time of year though to be starting out, most of the hiring has finished and in another few months the firing will begin with the scenic operators or leave issued for the wet season to the guys that they want to come back the following year (and more and more will return as last seasons guys are not moving onto multi engine gigs and the multi engine guys are not moving onto turbine gigs, who in turn are not moving onto jets). The more senior guys (last seasons returners) fly the wet which is the most interesting time of year to fly. In days gone by you would need a couple of VFR wets before you had a crack at a multi engine job in Darwin (and 3000 single), that requirement was overlooked over the last couple of years but I'd bet my Christmas lunch it will rear its head again next year.

I'm all for guy's starting out, we have all been there and it is an adventure that only those who have left the city can understand. The flying is great, the conditions can be lousy but they make for far more interesting cockpit tales later down the track.

Keep me updated via PM (I extend that offer to all newbies) and I'll keep my ear to the floor at what is happening around the place and may be able to help you secure a start somewhere.