PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Progress Vs 43rd Flight School
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2009, 21:49
chileno 777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chileno, since I see your address as FAPE, and you are recommending US schools, does this suggest that you have not been happy with your training in SA ?

The flying standards in South Africa are high and I am happy with my flight school (the instructors are great and the environment at the club is awesome) but the CPL theory is a nightmare (similar to JAA). There are 8 written exams and more than 60% of the theory that the prospective student should learn will never use it as a commercial pilot. The FAA training is more practical and the written papers are less complicated, hence, less time consuming and more focused on what is (in my humble opinion) the most important....the flying training! I do not have a problem at all of studying (have already passed 2 comm subjects) but do not want to waste more time focusing on things which I will not use when flying commercially. That is why I decided to go to USA to do my CPL. The flight training here is good (only problem in PE is the weather) but I opted to stop suffering with the useless theory that CPL students must learn in South Africa.

Last edited by chileno 777; 5th Aug 2009 at 22:12. Reason: grammar