PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 5th Aug 2009, 20:42
WhirlwindIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outwest

You mention entering autorotation at a low altitude to get out of VRS.

If already low enough not to be interested in placing the nose attitude down a healthy bit to fly off the VRS state just how low an altitude would you actually choose to enter autorotation and what would be the outcome? I'm having a tough time with this autorotation solution due to the proximity of ground. When muddling with blade element theory of lift I really don't understand the flow transition from VRS to autorotation being very useful. My stomach says ouch, but in the practical there may be something to your idea I'm just not getting.

My 40+ years flying helicopters has always told me to push the cyclic slightly forward, and/or the collective down just a bit, at the slightest hint of VRS (far removed from SWP) and life remains good. This, to my mind, actually tends to save altitude and options for figuring to continue or overshoot an approach. If really wound up in a healthy VRS, which may have been the case a couple times for myself, I did place the nose attitude down a healthy fashion to fly off and away from the problem - thankfully altitude was sufficient. Experienced these situations in mountain flying.

Thanks.

WIII